The Short & Sweet series is the tapas of the theatre world. Where upcoming and established directors, actors and playwrights serve up an evening of plays with one thing in common – each story is bite-sized and lasts less than ten minutes.
So here’s the ‘short’ and ‘sweet’ of it.
- It’s the seventh year of the festival – it’s a formula that works.
- 140 ten minute plays have been chosen from more than 1500 international entries – it has global status.
- The Festival runs for five weeks until 23 February at The Seymour or Newtown Theatre – it’s on now.
- As the audience, you can secretly vote on your favourite play in the ‘Top 90’ – it’s inclusive.
- Industry judges pick the best piece from each weekly performance – it’s not a democracy.
- Ten plays progress to the Gala Finals, held at Seymour Centre 22 and 23 February – it’s going to be big.
This week’s live theatre menu includes meet-the-parents disaster Date with a Samurai, comment on the death of peace activist Rachel Corrie in Blindingly Obvious Facts, and The 23 Greatest Moments of Dave about, as expected, Dave.
Newtown Theatre, corner King and Bray Sts, Newtown 2042, MCA Tix 1300 306 776
Seymour Centre, corner City Rd and Cleveland St, Chippendale 2006, (02) 9351 7940